How to uninstall Overwatch on Windows, step-by-step:
- Open the Windows Home Interface. Search for 'Control Panel'.
- Select and open the 'Control Panel'.
- Click 'Uninstall a program'.
- Dubble click on 'Overwatch' ato start the uninstallation process.
- A dialogue will popup, click 'Yes' to confirm that you want to uninstall the game.
In today's post, we will be discussing how to uninstall Overwatch in different operating systems, including Windows and Mac. We will also be discussing how to uninstall the game using other tools and cover some of the issues that you may encounter while uninstalling the game.
Uninstalling Overwatch From Windows OS
There are several ways to uninstall Overwatch. In this article, I will be showing the best ways to remove the game from your computer. Any of these have been successful in completely uninstalling Overwatch from most gamers' computers. I have included all the ways to uninstall the game in case one or a few of the ways is giving you issues so that you have alternatives.
Using the Windows Control Panel
This is a step-by-step guide on how to uninstall Overwatch using the Windows Control Panel:
- Press the Windows Home Key on your keyboard or click the Windows Home Button on the taskbar.
- Type Control Panel in the search bar. Click on the first search result in the list of options.
- The Windows Control Panel will open up as a new window. Click on the Uninstall a program option on the bottom left side.
- You will now see all of your programs and games along with the installation dates. Double-click on Overwatch.
- A confirmation message will appear and prompting you to confirm that you want to delete Overwatch, click yes.
Uninstall Using Battle.net
Battle.net is a digital, online platform developed by Blizzard that does tons of things, one of them being uninstalling games. If the above way did not work for you, this might.
How to uninstall Overwatch using Battle.net:
- Open the Battle.net program using your favorite method of doing so.
- Select Overwatch on the left side of the client.
- Click on the options button under the Overwatch logo and select the uninstall option that comes last in the list.
- Click Yes, uninstall in the dialogue box that pops up asking if you are sure you want to uninstall Overwatch.
Uninstall Using the Included Uninstaller
The Overwatch game includes a default stock option of uninstalling the game, without using anything but the game files. This can be a great tool to use in case the other methods are not working out for you.
How to uninstall Overwatch using the included uninstaller:
- Find and open the installation folder of Overwatch, normally it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwatch.
- Scan through the contents to find uninstall.exe or unins000.exe.
- Click Uninstall and follow the wizard to completely uninstall Overwatch.
How to Uninstall the Beta Version of Overwatch on Windows
The process of uninstalling the Beta version of Overwatch is almost similar to the older version of Battle.net, and it is super easy.
How to uninstall the beta version of Overwatch on Windows:
- Open the Battle.net program, start it up if it is not running yet.
- Click on the small icon next to the play button. Click on the uninstall option that comes last in the menu.
- A confirmation dialogue box will pop up requesting you to confirm you want to delete Overwatch. Click Yes, uninstall on the pop-up.
- You are now done, simply wait for the Blizzard client to do the rest for you.
Uninstalling Overwatch on macOS
Using Battle.net to uninstall Overwatch on macOS is similar to how you would make it work on Windows and follows nearly the same steps.
How to uninstall Overwatch on macOS:
- Open Finder.
- Look for Overwatch in applications list and press delete to remove it.
- While holding down the Option key, select Library from the go menu on the system menu bar.
- Delete the Overwatch folder located in library/Application Support/Overwatch.
- Navigate to ~/library/preferences and delete any other files related to Overwatch, including the Overwatch tools folder.
- Empty the trash to completely remove the game from your Mac.
Common Issues When Uninstalling Overwatch
At times, you may experience some annoying setbacks when trying to uninstall a program, Overwatch included. Let us take look at some of the problems you may encounter while uninstalling the game from your computer.
Overwatch does not show up in the Control Panel (or no uninstall option)
If you cannot find the Overwatch application in the programs and features window that you have accessed using the Windows Control Panel, you can try to remove the Overwatch game files manually.
However, the easiest way to solve this issue is to use another method of uninstalling the game, such as the Battle.net method for uninstalling the game.
Files Exist Even After Deleting the Game
You might have been able to delete the Overwatch program with no issues, but you later notice that some of its files and folders are still existing on your drive. You can make use of a third party installer to scan the remaining contents and delete them automatically.
However, you should start by restarting your computer as the files that you have been seeing might get automatically removed after a restart.
The Common but Unknown Error
Another common problem you may encounter when uninstalling Overwatch is when the uninstallation process is interrupted by an unknown error that hinders the completion of the removal process.
The unknown error may be annoying as it often keeps on happening when you retry.
The best solution to this error is to use a different method of uninstalling the game, mainly using either the Windows Control Panel or the Battle.net program, as these are the most common ways of uninstalling the game.
Restart your computer and exit any process related to Overwatch that might be running in the background before you retry if you keep on getting the same error.
Delete Your Blizzard Account
Removing Overwatch and removing your Blizzard account are two very different things. Deleting your Blizzard account is easy. The process will take 30 days from the moment that send a request to remove the account. An ID photo may also be required.
Deleting your Overwatch account will delete your name, contact information, payment methods, and security details saved in the Blizzard database. Remember, deleting your account will also erase purchase history and games, codes, game accounts and progress, and any remaining Blizzard balance.
You should keep your Blizzard account if you are playing other games on the platform or have some unused balance that you might want to use later.
You might want to delete your Blizzard account if you want your email address removed from their servers. Removing your account removes you from their database, making it impossible to send any marketing emails to your inbox.
I hope this guide has been helpful, especially as there are plenty of reasons as to why you might want to remove Overwatch from your computer, such as:
- Runtime Errors that force you to uninstall the application to reinstall the game.
- No available storage that forces you to uninstall Overwatch to install essential applications that you might need.
- A corrupted Overwatch installation can force you to uninstall and reinstall the game since you might be getting weird errors at times. If your Overwatch is corrupt, you should scan your computer for malware to make sure that no virus caused the corruption.
- The game acting weird is a common reason to want to start from scratch and get rid of everything that is wrong with the current installation. Most of the time, reinstalling is easier than having to identify exactly what is wrong with the current installation.
I wish you the best, no matter if you are uninstalling the game to quit permanently, or trying to solve an issue with your current installation.